http://thehorizoncomplex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/newlogo-300x132.jpg 0 0 diane http://thehorizoncomplex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/newlogo-300x132.jpg diane2013-04-05 23:30:102013-04-05 23:30:10Recipe of the Week!
Here is our once per week recipe segment. There are recipes that are sometimes foods and anytime foods. Of course, the anytime foods are the healthy foods that you and your family can have anytime. The sometime foods are the foods that are not quite so healthy and you will need to make choices.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1- 4.3 ounce package Rice-a-Roni long grain and wild rice
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups half and half
- In your slow cooker, combine chicken broth, water, package of Rice-a-Roni (including seasoning packet), carrots, celery, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Add in uncooked chicken breasts.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4.5 hours.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. When melted, whisk in flour. Slowly, very slowly pour in half and half until well combined. Stir in salt and black pepper.
- Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and chop into chunks.
- Pour the creamy mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add chicken chunks back in and cook for 15 minutes longer.
- Makes about 10 cups of soup. Can serve with crusty bread.