Yea! Spring is here! Do you just LOVE spring? I know I do! It’s one of my favorite times of the year. Outside is the name of the game in the spring isn’t it? We love the fresh spring air, flowers beginning to bloom and warm temperatures. And, anyone that has a trampoline is bouncing, bouncing, bouncing, enjoying the exhilarating feeling! Here is a story I think you might appreciate about trampolines:
One time while practicing how to handle an emergency injury with stretchers, paramedics, and even a ride to the hospital, one of the E.M.T.’s told a story about a couple of boys who were double bouncing each other on a backyard trampoline. One of the boys was bounced so high that he lost control of where he would land. His legs went through the springs and he ended up breaking one leg so severely that the bone actually was poking through the skin. This is a true story.
Following are 9 important trampoline secrets to help keep all safe:
- land properly – the rebound (or rebounce) is the most dangerous and can create serious injuries
- stay in control – bounce in the center
- bounce one at a time – a common mistake
- have spotters – always helpful
- check equipment – make sure everything is in working order
- bounce off the trampoline – for safety sit and slide off
- put the trampoline on a hill – keep on a flat surface
- put sprinklers under the trampoline or use when it is wet – it can be very slippery
- flip without proper gymnastics training – landing incorrectly can cause serious injury
ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING:
Check your home owner’s insurance to make sure your backyard trampoline is covered. Most of the time THEY ARE NOT. Check yours out to be sure.
I hope this was helpful. If you have any questions at all, or would like trampoline training, please give Horizon a call at 616-669-7722. We’d love to hear from you and will be providing a free class in trampoline safety this spring. Give us a call and we’ll get you and your children enrolled.
Have a happy and safe spring!